How to save your moldy bags, shoes and your musty clothes is Panama?
Moldy Shoes, Purses and More? We have your solution
Mold can very easily grow on your clothes and shoes – especially when there’s always excess moisture in the air as there is on Panama. If anything smells musty, there is mold there. Don’t worry though – we have mold removal products to treat the problem without damaging your things. And some lessons and tricks for helping to manage mold in Panama high humidity. Let us lead you through the our journey to manage mold on your valuable clothes and accessories.
Why does this happen?
Mold is a fungus that thrives in a warm and moist environment. Anytime relative humidity is above 55%, mold will grow. And mold absolutely thrives in Panama’s average 65% to 80% relative humidity. Shoes, leather and fabric articles are particularly susceptible to mold as these are all great food sources. And if they are crammed into a closet with no air circulation the mold grows even better. Fact I learned from a museum study: mold will grow two times faster for every step increase of 10% relative humidity above 50%.
How To Remove Mold or Mildew From Clothes and Shoes
Concrobium Mold Control is the perfect mold removal solution for us to use to rescue all the items around the house that get moldy. We’re careful of cleaning products and other mold solutions we read about. But Concrobium is a non-toxic product that we’ve used for years in Panama to eliminate our mold problems, without the use of bleach or toxic chemicals. No bleach means no damage or discolouring of our belongings.
Many of us are sensitive to chemicals and VOCs, so we like Concrobium because its organic formula won’t trigger our allergies. It’s Health Canada approved, and those people are careful in what they approve. The bottom line is it’s safe to use and it works as promised in Panama to control mold.
- First off, spray Concrobium on the affected surface. No need to soak the surface, but cover thoroughly. Sometimes we’ll test on a small area first.
- Allow it to dry thoroughly. The product works to kill mold as it dries, crushing the mold spores at the roots. Bleach doesn’t do that.
- As the product dries, Concrobium crushes the spores to kill and eliminate the existing mold.
- Lastly, take a cloth dampened lightly with the solution to wipe away the remaining residue. This will leave behind a thin invisible layer of the product to prevent from future mold growth. This residue is colourless, and shouldn’t cause any damage to your fabrics or irritate your skin, however we always recommend doing a small patch test on an inconspicuous section of the item to ensure peace of mind!
- With most items – such as upholstery, furniture, or fitting and fixtures, the Concrobium residue stays in place for a long time and prevents the problem from returning.
- With clothes you can wash your clothes as normal, and the mold will be completely eradicated, along with that musty damp smell that’s been plaguing you!
- Depending on the leather of material, where it is stored and how wet it may get in use, some articles may require a small touch up or periodic quick retreatment.
How To Prevent Mold and Mildew on Clothes and Shoes
There is no magic answer to staying mold-free in Panama’s high moisture environment, but we have found some changes that have kept us mold free in our apartment for more than two years now;
- Air Circulation. Do what you can to improve air circulation. Don’t jam pack you closet. Let you shoes and purses breathe. Leave cupboard doors and drawers open periodically, especially if you travel.
- Humidity and Moisture Management. We only run our AC in the bedroom in the eeving buy we leave our closet door open a crack to help reduce humidity there. Don’t leave wet towels in a pile on the closet floor. Be diligent of water leaks and condensation.
- Diligence and Spot Treatments: Be diligent of mold on walls or other surfaces. In 48 hours mold can take hold and start to pump out mold spores that will likely find a home (food source) on your expensive leather purse. So we keep a spray bottle of Concrobium around and give and small spots of mold we see a light spray, like inside a cupboard door for example.
If you have any mold or mildew related problems, and would like advice on how to treat or remove it, get in touch with us!
Call or WhatsApp us at +507 6956-1130 We’re on Facebook with regular posts, Like our Page.
We post regular tips on mold management, so join our mail list HERE.